Junior forward/midfielder Amanda Granger dribbles the ball head-to-head against Georgetown junior defender Hailey Vannn on Sunday, Sept. 20, 2015 at Goodman Campus. The Mountain Hawks lost to Georgetown, 1-0. (Dallas Basha/B&W Photo)

Lehigh field hockey shut out again, 1-0 to Georgetown


Just one day after holding American University to only one goal, Lehigh field hockey held its opponent to one goal once again.

However, the team was shut out for the second day in a row as well, suffering a tough 1-0 loss against Georgetown University Sunday at Lehigh’s Ulrich Sports Complex.

Lehigh had another impressive showing, but just could not seem to convert on any of its shot attempts. Despite losing the game, the Mountain Hawks having outshot their opponent 20 to eight. Fourteen of its shots were on target while only five were on target by the Hoyas.

The women were most impressive in the second half, getting off 11 shots, six of which were on goal. Late in the second half, Lehigh forced Georgetown to make two stops back-to-back, the first one coming off a shot from junior forward Marissa Glatt.

The next shot came off of the rebound by freshman midfielder/defender Lauren Dice. All of the Lehigh attempts were denied by Georgetown’s goalkeeper. The Hoyas were only able get off one shot the second half, which was blocked by junior goalkeeper Julia Ward.

The offense was led by Glatt, who had seven shots (six on target), and freshman forward Teresa Carotenuto, who had three shots on target. The Georgetown goalkeeper held strong and was able to deny all 14 shots that Lehigh put on goal.

Lehigh also led the Hoyas in penalty corners 13-4, with three of the corners coming almost back-to-back-to-back in the 28th minute due to a scramble after Lehigh forwards put two nice shots on goal.

“The game didn’t go our way,” senior midfielder Zoey Pacheco said. “We outshot Georgetown, but we didn’t capitalize on our opportunities and unfortunately they did.”

Leading the way on the defensive end was Ward blocking four of the five shots that Georgetown put on goal, only allowing one goal. That goal came off of the stick of Sam Hickey on an assist from Megan Parsons in the 32nd minute of the game, finally breaking the 0-0 tie just moments after Ward had made a save.

“Going into practice this week we are refocusing and preparing for Bucknell,” Pacheco said. “We just have to take care of the details and the rest will come.”

The Mountain Hawks will be traveling to Lewisburg, Pennsylvania on Sept. 26 to take on another Patriot League opponent, Bucknell University. Senior forward Lindsey Schott said that going into this week of practice the team will look to take care of minor miscues they had against Georgetown that they felt attributed to the loss.

Comment policy

Comments posted to The Brown and White website are reviewed by a moderator before being approved. Incendiary speech or harassing language, including comments targeted at individuals, may be deemed unacceptable and not published. Spam and other soliciting will also be declined.

The Brown and White also reserves the right to not publish entirely anonymous comments.

Leave A Reply