Junior Jamie Luchini steals the ball from freshmen Jack Miskel and Stefan Woort- Menker Wednesday Sept. 2 at Goodman fields. The team played a scrimmage game during practice to prepare for the week’s coming games. (Molly Brooks/ B&W Photo)

Men’s soccer suffers first loss of season, falls to Stony Brook 3-0


The Lehigh Mountain Hawks men’s soccer team falls to 2-1 after a tough 3-0 loss to Stony Brook University on Friday.

A 2-1 victory in the season home opener over Manhattan College and a 2-0 shutout for the Mountain Hawks against Monmouth University in West Long Branch, New Jersey, had the men’s team gaining some confidence heading into the away contest versus Stony Brook.

Stony Brook controlled that confidence and took a 1-0 lead after 42 minutes of play due to some sloppiness by the Lehigh defense. The first goal scored this season by the Seawolves came by an own goal that was scored by Lehigh, an unfortunate bounce off a Lehigh defender’s shin that resulted in a goal for the opponents. The half ended with the visiting team leading the Mountain Hawks 1-0.

The second half started off slow for the Mountain Hawks as they committed four straight fouls, one of which was a yellow card six minutes into the second half. The defense continued to play strong until Stony Brook junior midfielder Martin Giordano put a header into the back of the net to put the Seawolves up 2-0 with 81:13 on the clock.

Another goal by the Seawolves concluded this matchup when junior midfielder Alejandro Fitz scored his first goal of the season, just like his fellow midfielder Giordano did earlier in the match. This goal came with 83:36 on the clock to ice the cake for Stony Brook as they nabbed their first win this season.

Both teams had numerous opportunities to capitalize, but the Mountain Hawks couldn’t get past the Seawolves goalie. Redshirt freshman goalkeeper Tom McMahon had seven saves during the match, while capturing a shutout.

Lehigh first-year midfielder/defender Jack Miskel recorded four shots, which included three shots on goal, in 40 minutes of play, and senior midfielder/defender Ali Famili had two shots, both of which were on goal, in 73 minutes of play.

Despite their first lost of the season, the Mountain Hawks will need to have a short memory as they travel to the University of Rhode Island to take on the Rams on Sept. 12 at 7 p.m.

Comment policy

Comments posted to The Brown and White website are reviewed by a moderator before being approved. Incendiary speech or harassing language, including comments targeted at individuals, may be deemed unacceptable and not published. Spam and other soliciting will also be declined.

The Brown and White also reserves the right to not publish entirely anonymous comments.

Leave A Reply