The Lehigh University Center, formerly known as Packer Hall, stands proudly in the center of Asa Packer Campus. The structure was built in 1869 and has been home to a multitude of student activities and purposes for the past century-and-a-half.
As Lehigh has grown and changed over time, the structure has done the same through renovations and internal re-purposing. The following photos serve as a digital timeline of the building’s history as well as plans for its renovation as part of Path to Prominence.
Ilhan Citak, a special collections and archives librarian at Lehigh, and Brent Stringfellow, an associate vice president of facilities and the university architect, spoke with The Brown and White about the history behind the UC and how it came to the symbol students recognize today.