As an addition to the Lifestyle section, The Brown and White will feature a recipe or restaurant review every Friday. We encourage readers to submit their own recipes and reviews. More information on how to submit a recipe or review is available below.
Spaghetti squash with kale and spicy Italian sausage, inspired from a recipe by Girlichef
Spaghetti squash is a tasty and healthy alternative to traditional pasta. This recipe features a spice kick from the sausage and a nice crunch from the kale.
- 1 med-large Spaghetti Squash
- 12 oz. hot Italian sausage (pork, chicken, or turkey)
- 1 fat clove garlic, minced
- 1 large bunch kale
- sea salt
- freshly ground black pepper
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350° Fahrenheit.
- Cut off the tip and tail of the squash. Cut it in half lengthwise and scoop the seeds out. Pour olive oil and minced garlic in the holes on each half until they’re a little more than halfway full. Roast for about 45 minutes to an hour, or until tender.
- While the squash is cooking, set a skillet with olive oil over medium to medium-high heat. Remove the sausage from the casing and break it up into smaller pieces. Cook, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the stems from the kale, and add it to the skillet with the sausage when the sausage is almost done cooking. Sauté it with the sausage until they are both finished cooking. The kale should be wilted and the sausage will be browned. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- When the squash is finished cooking and still warm, use a fork to scrape the squash into strands. Place in a serving bowl.
- Add the sausage and kale over the squash. Top with Parmesan cheese and serve warm.
If you would like to submit a recipe or review for publication, you may submit it directly to the editorial pages editor using the form below. You may also email a recipe or review to [email protected].