Through substituting ingredients, this basic bowl pancake recipe can be infinitely adapted to create new flavors.
- ½ cup uncooked oats
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 small banana, mashed
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Sweetener of choice, to taste (maple syrup, honey, sugar, etc. )
- Milk of choice, as needed
Some variation ideas include adding cocoa powder or experimenting with other types of whole grain flours. Additionally, you could substitute banana with applesauce or pumpkin puree, or use other extract flavors like almond or butterscotch.
- Combine dry ingredients in a blender. Pulse until texture resembles flour
- In a small bowl, mash banana
- Add vanilla extract and sweetener of choice
- Stir in dry ingredient mixture and add milk until the batter has the consistency of thick pancake batter
- Microwave for 2.5-3.5 minutes, or until the top of the bowl pancake looks cooked and not shiny
- Top with milk, syrup, or any other topping you can think of
If you would like to submit a recipe or review for publication, you may submit it directly to the editorial pages editor using the form below. You may also email a recipe or review to [email protected].